SDGA Intern Tatum Richards caught up with Pierre native Hallie Getz in this segment of "Off the Course."
SDGA: You just graduated from SDSU, what’s next?
- HG: I’m going home to Pierre where I’ll be working as a Budget Analyst for the State of SD.
SDGA: Would you rather take a putter to the ankle or a golf ball to the shin?
SDGA: Favorite college memory?
- HG: Too many to name, but some of my favorite are traveling around the U.S. playing in tournaments with some of my best friends. Oregon, Hawaii, Utah all rank at the top.
SDGA: Most memorable tournament you’ve played in?
SDGA: Best golf advice you’ve ever been given?
- HG: You’ll have good and bad tournaments, ones where you’re on top of the leaderboard and ones where you’re at the bottom. It’s a rollercoaster. Just like in life, you have to enjoy the twists and turns of the game learn from your mistakes, and never take anything for granted.
SDGA: Biggest pet peeve on the golf course?
- HG: After the flood in Pierre wiped out Hillsview for almost two years, I’m cautious of how I treat golf courses. My biggest pet peeve is when people don’t fix their ball marks on greens or their divots. Leave it better than you found it!
SDGA: Best movie you’ve ever seen?
- HG: “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days.” Because Matthew McConaughey, obviously.
SDGA: Do you have any pre-round rituals or golf superstitions?
- HG: None specifically, except for listening to a song that I’m okay with having stuck in my head all round. I can’t play with Titliest 3’s. My college coach knew me so well he would take the sleeve that had 3’s out of my dozen balls and replace them with a different number.
SDGA: Dogs or cats?
- HG: Dogs! I want a golden retriever named Rory (after Rory Mcllroy, of course.)
SDGA: Do you love or hate surprises?
SDGA: Favorite restaurant hands down?
- HG: Cubby’s in Brookings! Jackrabbit athletics playing on 150 TV’s and delicious food, does it get any better?
SDGA: Is your room messy or neat?
- HG: Just like my life, my room is an organized mess. It looks messy but I know where everything is.